ASPHALT SEALCOATING IN MONTEREY
The keys to a successful sealcoating program include preparation of the asphalt surface, crack sealing (if applicable) and application of an asphalt emulsion based pavement sealer in optimal weather conditions.
Preventative Maintenance For
Asphalt sealcoating is recognized as one of the most beneficial preventative maintenance treatment for your asphalt parking lot when TIMED PROPERLY.
The keys to a successful sealcoating program include preparation of the asphalt surface, crack sealing (if applicable) and application of an asphalt emulsion based pavement sealer in optimal weather conditions. Far too many times, either inexperienced sealcoating contractors or unscrupulous ones “over sell” sealcoating to unsuspecting property owners / managers. Property owners rely on what they assume sometimes are professionals to guide them in making the proper buying decision.
Because 90% of sealcoating contractors fall into a category of sales people, as opposed to pavement consultants, when the property manager approaches them for honest straight-forward advice, the fear of losing the sales kicks in and they will sell the prospect on sealcoating when they themselves know it will provide little value other than cosmetic enhancement of the asphalt, and most of the time that is short lived.
Get Your Free Quote Today.
Coastal Paving & Excavating is a leader and trusted provider for asphalt sealcoating in the Monterey area.
Contact us today for a free quote.
What Asphalt Sealcoating WILL DO:
- Either asphalt emulsion or petroleum-based emulsion will protect an asphalt parking lot from gas & oil spillage, oxidation from the sun, and deterioration from chemicals. It will also waterproof the surface and will beautify the pavement.
- When used as part of a preventative maintenance program, sealcoating when first applied 3-12 months after asphalt installation and then every 2-3 years thereafter, if applied as per the manufacturers specifications (proper water dilution, addition of silica sand for traction and durability) will extend the life of an asphalt parking lot by 10 years on average if completed in conjunction with a preventative maintenance plan to include hot rubberized crack sealing and inspection of the parking lot on an annual basis to cure issues right away.
- Sealcoating will make sweeping and cleaning the asphalt parking lot easier as it creates a smooth surface.
- Keep essential oils locked in the asphalt while keeping crucial elements out of the asphalt resulting in longer life and more durability.
What Asphalt Sealcoating WILL NOT DO:
- When an asphalt parking lot is neglected for 10-15 years, is covered with cracks, alligator cracked areas, erosion of the fines from the asphalt leaving behind a rough surface with exposed stone, sealcoating will provide NO structural value and will only be cosmetic. Sealcoating a 15-year-old neglected parking lot will look great for a photo on Facebook or Instagram, however, a discriminating property inspector that performs their due diligence will certainly ask for a concession for repaving.
- Sealcoating will only add a few years of life to the asphalt at best for a deteriorated parking lot that has not been maintained.
- Sealcoating will not level or fix low spots.
- Sealcoating will not resurface asphalt, even though some sealcoating products use the word “resurfacer.”
- When sealcoating is performed on asphalt where all the fines have eroded and the stone is now rough and protruding, the seal coat application will quickly wear off of the top of the stones in high traffic areas.
- 1 coat of pavement sealer will not protect the asphalt as well as 2 coats how ever 1 coat is an adequate application in many cases.
Avoiding Preventable Problems with Asphalt Paving
If left untreated, asphalt pavements can and do deteriorate. Also known as asphalt binder; (this is the glue that essentially holds the paving together), this will begin to weather and oxidize rapidly when there is no asphalt sealcoating in place.
Water and chemicals will penetrate the surface of the paving, along with gas, salt, and oil, things that all roadways, parking lots, and driveways are particularly susceptible to, given their regular use.
The total impact of this environmental distress is what causes the deterioration and it is what transforms a freshly paved, attractive black asphalt surface into aged, oxidized, cracked paving.
Frequently Asked Questions About Asphalt Sealcoating
What is Asphalt Sealcoating?
Asphalt seal coat is a high-performance type of emulsion with a range of additives that are combined and designed to help provide protection to asphalt pavements from water, UV rays, and wear and tear.
There is a range of ways asphalt sealcoating can be applied, and as your local experts, the team at Coastal Paving and Excavating can discuss the best option for your individual project’s requirements.
Sealcoat is an essential preventative element for all types of asphalt paving installations and should form part of any asphalt maintenance plan. The application of a high-quality asphalt sealcoating solution can prevent oxidation, a leading cause of cracking and raveling.
Typically, asphalt sealcoating is applied to any newly paved area of asphalt and between each 3-5 years as part of a routine maintenance plan.
Is Asphalt Sealcoating Absolutely Necessary?
As a highly effective method of protection for asphalt paving, sealcoating can help protect the integrity of the paving and the investment that has been made into the original installation.
Essentially, the seal coat will protect the asphalt from UV rays, chemicals, and moisture, as it can prevent the binders and fines from breaking free.
It is an ideal solution for both commercial and residential parking lots, large driveways, and roadways due to the sustained usage and stresses they are placed under from regular wear and tear, along with weather and traffic.
How Long Will Asphalt Seal Coat Last?
We expect the typical lifespan for a quality asphalt seal coat to last anything between two and five years. However, the local climate, along with the volume of traffic that is sustained, will also play a part in this figure. A new asphalt surface should be professionally seal coated within the first 12 months of installation in order to prevent the onset of cracking, raveling, and oxidation.
Do you need a new asphalt surface seal coated fast?
Contact a member of our team for a quote & further information today. We can answer any questions you might have and arrange an immediate appointment to fully assess the area.
What are the Benefits of Asphalt Sealcoating?
- It can extend the life of any paved asphalt surface.
- It can prevent oxidation and degradation of asphalt surfaces over time.
- It can protect asphalt pavement against shrinkage & minimize crack
- It can protect asphalt against harsh weather conditions.
- It increases the curb appeal of a property by providing a clean, dark appearance of the asphalt paving.
- It keeps asphalt paving clean and makes it easy to maintain.
- It ensures a clean, durable base for striping and lane marking.
A routinely scheduled program of asphalt sealcoating could double the life expectancy of the asphalt.
What is the Difference Between Asphalt Sealcoat and Asphalt Overlay?
An asphalt overlay is akin to a patch job that is done in a specific area of asphalt. When asphalt is showing signs of potholes or cracking but does not yet need replacing, this is a viable solution. It involves placing a hot, fine layer of asphalt over the existing surface as an overlay. This won’t fix any issues underneath the asphalt, and for this reason, depending on the condition and potential extent of the damage, it might not always be a feasible solution.
On the other hand, asphalt sealcoating is a preventative process that is designed to offer protection to a surface. Although it could fill a very shallow cracking, having a professional asphalt crack-filling service is more suited to damaged asphalt. Professional sealcoating can prevent further damage, but it cannot undo damage and deterioration that have already occurred. This is why it is recommended that you get asphalt sealcoating as quickly as possible, usually within the first 12 months of the paving being placed. Sealcoating will eventually wear out, so it is important to undertake a route of crack-filling and sealcoating every 2-5 years.
When you invest money into asphalt paving, you want to make sure it lasts for the longest possible time and that it retains an attractive appearance that is free from degradation for as long as possible. When you consider how much it could cost to replace or repair damaged asphalt paving; regular maintenance via asphalt crack filling or sealcoating will be a fraction of the cost comparatively speaking.
At Coastal Paving and Excavating, our team is here to help you protect your asphalt in the most viable, efficient, and cost-effective way.
Monterey Asphalt Sealcoating Services
At Coastal Paving and Excavating, we provide expert asphalt sealcoating services to clients across Monterey County.
Our team has a proven track record, we offer great value for money, and we can provide you with the guidance and services you need to see any size of asphalt or concrete-related project through from start to completion.
Why Choose Coastal Paving and Excavating?
We are your one-stop shop for all your asphalt paving and sealcoating needs.
We’re proud of our customer-first approach to doing business and have exceptionally high standards of service that utilize the highest grade of products and workmanship. We do all of this while upholding our commitment to always offer great value for money to our clients and friendly professional service from the moment you contact us through to completion.
These values and commitments make us a leader in our sector and one of the most trusted sealcoating contractors in Monterey County.
If you have a project you would like to discuss, or you’d like to find out the cost of local asphalt sealcoating services, please contact a member of our team today.